Pages Navigation Menu

Our Buildings & Grounds

The Morey Devereaux Barn


©1794 Morey-Devereaux Barn

When the Austerlitz Historical Society received a generous grant from the Ellsworth Kelly Foundation to add a large community meeting place to Old Austerlitz, the search for an appropriate building began.  The AHS Building and Grounds Committee spent many months looking for a historic building that would fit in with the other buildings at Old Austerlitz and meet the needs and standards of the Society.

The search was unsuccessful until Tony and Gail Cashen (President of AHS) discovered that a historic English barn had been taken down and stored at Eastfield Village in Nassau.  It happened to be the original barn that came from the same property as the 1794 Morey-Devereaux House, the centerpiece of Old Austerlitz.  The owner was no longer interested in rebuilding the barn, so a purchase was negotiated. The historic building is a classic three bay, 30 by 40 foot English barn typical of those built in the 1700s. The basic footprint provides a suitable space for meetings and AHS programs and events.

After careful planning by the Buildings and Grounds Committee and approval by the AHS Trustees, reconstruction of the barn began in the spring of 2012—10 years after the Morey Devereaux house had been reconstructed in Old Austerlitz.

After a foundation was poured, Jon Wilder and John Milburn, expert timber frame contractors from Rayville, went to work. They began by searching for tall straight trees from which to saw 40-foot long 8 by 10 inch beams to install on the perimeter of the foundation. When those were in place, a network of hand-hewn mortise and tenon rafters were joined with the supporting beams. The barn siding that had been in storage and the tongue-and-groove hemlock sub flooring were then installed. The final barn floor is made of 16 to 24 inch wide pine boards.

To provide space for a collection of antique farm equipment donated to the Society by the Cashens, a 20 by 30 foot covered shed was added to the rear of the barn.  Constructed of historic barn parts, this addition replicates a similar shed added to the original Morey-Devereaux Barn.

Thanks to the Kelly Foundation Grant, an additional contribution from the Cashens, and support from volunteers and workers who contributed their services, the reconstruction of the barn was completed without using any of the general funds of the Austerlitz Historical Society.


The Morey-Devereaux Carriage Shed


Early 1800’s Morey-Devereaux Carriage Shed

The Morey-Devereaux Carriage Shed is a replica of the original carriage shed that was once on the same property as the Morey-Devereaux House and the Morey-Devereaux Barn in East Nassau, NY.  The Austerlitz Historical Society has several antique carriages in our collection and they will be displayed in this building from time to time.

The original Morey-Devereaux Carriage Shed is at the Farmer’s Museum in Cooperstown, NY.  Our volunteers made several visits to the museum while planning our replica building.  You can see the original on the Farmer’s Museum website by clicking HERE


The Morey-Devereaux House

1794 Morey-Devereaux House

1794 Morey-Devereaux House

The Morey-Devereaux House, named for a family who owned and occupied it for five generations in the Town of Nassau, was given to the Austerlitz Historical Society in lieu of being razed. The Board of Trustees of the Austerlitz Historical Society contributed $100,000 to the project for its dismantling by J. M. Kelly Ltd., who documented and numbered every piece before it was moved to three acres deeded by Robert Herron to the Society. This land is part of the Old Austerlitz site. These funds further enabled the storage of the parts and laying of the foundation by Madsen and Madsen.

The house has some hand-hewn beams, made from single trees, which are 46 feet long. The elegant entry hall is 36 feet long and 13 feet wide. It features beautiful doors, extensive dado and a fine staircase, with a scrolled bracket under each stair tread. The wide pine floors are in excellent condition as are built-in cupboards, hand-planed beaded beams, moldings and much of the wainscoting.

Stone mason Dan Rundell affixed stones from the original site to the foundation. Erection of the beams, the roofing, installation of windows and the siding was done by artisans of Burratto and Sons.

Completion of the house with new wiring, heating, modern lavatories and a new kitchen as well as the rebuilding of the two chimneys and five fireplaces cost approximately $300,000. The house serves to preserve and demonstrate the way people lived in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

Construction of the Morey-Devereaux House

Morey-Devereaux House during reconstruction.

Morey-Devereaux House during reconstruction.

This is a picture of  the Morey-Devereaux house during reconstruction.  The entire dismantling and re-assembly of the Morey-Devereaux house was documented.  It was moved from its original location in Nassau, New York and stands as the gateway to Old Austerlitz Village.

You can view a gallery of photos taken of the original home before it was dismantled as well as some of the work of dismantling and reconstructing the home by clicking here

The Harvey House

1780 Harvey House

1780 Harvey House

The Harvey House is a circa 1780 building.  It was originally built in northeast Connecticut and was relocated to Old Austerlitz Village.  The original building consisted of 4 rooms.  Extensive interior renovations are now complete, but the exposed beams still pay homage to the original designs of the period.  The windows are all Shaker Period windows that were obtained from the Mount Lebanon Shaker site in nearby New Lebanon, New York.  These truly stunning windows allow natural light to permeate the room from north, south, east and west.  This building has housed the Gift Shop for Old Austerlitz Village since its opening in 2001.  The building also serves as meeting space and can be used for exhibitions and displays.

The Robert Engel Blacksmith Shop

Blacksmith Shop

Blacksmith Shop

The blacksmiths were the first recyclers, according to Robert Engel, a blacksmith from Stockport, NY. They took old iron and reformed it into the tools and parts needed in their economy. It is in this spirit that Old Austerlitz continues to grow toward a working early American museum as a blacksmith shop has been added to its collection of buildings on Route 22 in Austerlitz, New York.

The blacksmith shop is an important piece of Old Austerlitz. No town was without a blacksmith, whose shops were as frequent as gas stations today. According to Engel,  in the old times, small towns would hire a blacksmith and provide him with living quarters and a place to work because he would provide the town with so many utensils and parts, including the tools for almost everything, bands for the cooper’s barrels, rims and hubs for wagon wheels.

Robert Herron, the guiding light for the concept of Old Austerlitz, had his eye on a building suitable for a blacksmith shop for several years. It was a small utility barn originally located on land off Route 66. The presence of circular saw marks indicate that it dates back to the 1850’s. (The circular saw had its advent in the 1840s.) Bob petitioned the County and the Austerlitz town board to obtain the building which was slated for demolition. He and Roy Carney, the chairman of the Austerlitz Historical Society’s building committee, drew the building and tagged the pieces of the building with brass tags before it was carefully taken down and transported to the site for recycling as a blacksmith shop.

The building has a sturdy post and beam construction with solid original clapboards that are one inch thick. Steven Connelly reconstructed the shop under the supervision of Herron with advice from Engel during the month of August 2007.

The shop is fully outfitted for demonstrations and classes.

In the summer of 2009, this building was named The Robert Engel Blacksmith Shoppe in honor Robert “Bob” Engel and his dedication to continuing the blacksmith tradition at Old Austerlitz.  Bob was instrumental in erecting the building, in ensuring its’ authentic character and was our first resident blacksmith.

The Stillwater Granary

Stillwater Granary

Stillwater Granary

The Stillwater Granary was a building located on a farm in the township of Stillwater, New York. It was donated to the Society in 1998. During that summer members of the Society dismantled the granary and put it in storage at our Austerlitz site. In 1999 we began to erect the building. The building is now roofed and the siding on and painted.

The Sauers – Kellogg House

Sauers-Kellogg House

Sauers-Kellogg House

The Sauers-Kellogg House is the home of Robert Herron. It is actually two homes in one, the Sauers House and the Kellogg House. Bob saved the Sauers House from demolition in the 1980s at which time it was moved to its present location off Harvey Mountain Road. The house dates back to 1770. It is a Connecticut style center chimney, story-and-a-half house with Dutch influence. A modern kitchen was added to the back and linked to the Kellogg House, which was constructed in 1810. The Kellogg House was located on Bob’s property, but closer to Route 22. The home first belonged to the Kelloggs who moved to Austerlitz during the early 1800s. Justin Kellogg and his wife Mary lived in the house until her death in 1933. Bob’s parents bought the house in 1933. They sold the house to the Endersons in 1945. Bob repurchased it at a later date. The house was moved and attached to the Sauers House in 1993. A barn, which was originally on the west side of the road, was also moved to its present location not far from the combined homes. The barn was originally used by the Kinne Carriage Manufacturing company in the early 1800s.

The Varney House

Varney House

Varney House

The Varney House was the childhood home of Robert Herron. His mother was born in the house. The house is decorated in a typical 1830s style with simple wood furnishings. The front door of the five-room, two story house leads into a porch. Twenty four mailboxes, a counter and a window welcome a visitor. The space served as the Austerlitz Post Office from 1935 to 1960.

You can view interior photos of the Varney House by clicking here

The Austerlitz Public School 1852

1852 Schoolhouse

1852 Schoolhouse

The original Austerlitz school house was located in School District No. 3 which was one of 17 districts created in the Town of Austerlitz in 1818. In 1818 there were 46 families in District No. 3. This one-room schoolhouse was originally located several yards north of its current location on Route 22. Although the interior of the building has been changed over the years, the frame dates back to 1852. It remained a public school into the 1950s, the last one-room school in the Chatham District, after which it was used briefly as a summer home.

The Austerlitz Church – 1853

1853 Church

1853 Church

The Christian church was organized on October 30, 1851, by 15 men and women from Upper and Lower Green Rivers. In 1852 a chapel was built in Lower Green River in Hillsdale and was shared with the Methodist Church. In 1853 the Austerlitz chapel was built and dedicated. This chapel has been used as a church on and off ever since.

Our spectacular grounds

Our Grounds

A View Of Our Property

Our nine historic buildings sit on a beautiful, well maintained property consisting of approximately 20 acres that sit at the base of Harvey Mountain.  Winters can be tough.  Summers are spectacular but never long enough in our quaint neck of the woods.  A peaceful meadow surrounded by mature trees and a babbling brook.  Stop by for a visit or call our office to arrange a tour.  518-392-0062